1. WHAT IS THE TEACH FOR NIGERIA FELLOWSHIP?
The Teach for Nigeria Fellowship program is a 2 year full-time paid commitment in which we place the most outstanding graduates and professionals to teach in Nigeria’s underserved schools in low- income communities.The Teach For Nigeria Fellowship is a transformational leadership program that equips Fellows with transferable leadership skills to effect change beyond the classrooms in the communities we serve.
2. WHY DOES THE FELLOWSHIP LAST TWO YEAR? CAN I TEACH FOR JUST ONE YEAR IF I CHOOSE?
The two year commitment is necessary to make the impact we wish to have on student achievement. In the first year, Fellows refine their teaching skills and start to establish respect and trust among various stakeholders within the school community and the students. This allows Fellows to achieve significant academic gains for students. In the second year, Fellows engage in their community projects to further their impact. During the two years, you will strive to transform the stude, transform as a leader and transform your school and community.
3. WHY SHOULD I JOIN TEACH FOR NIGERIA?
According to UNICEF, over 58.3% of pupils in school are not learning while nearly 50% of Grade 6 pupils cannot read at all.
At the secondary school level, the historical academic performance of students, as measured by results from the West African Senior School Certificate exams (WASSCE) shows that between 2008 and 2015, pass rates have not exceeded 40 percent. These figures are alarming. We are giving our children little or no hope for a future with opportunities.
You should join Teach for Nigeria because you are a leader and a change agent who will transform education in Nigeria.
4. ARE THERE ANY BENEFITS TO BEING A TEACH FOR NIGERIA FELLOW?
Yes. As a Teach For Nigeria Fellow, you are a part of movement of young leaders working to eliminate educational inequity. In addition, these are some of the benefits of being a Fellow:
- Opportunity to be part of a movement that is changing lives and that will change society
- Extensive leadership development training
- Intensive teacher training
- Real responsibility from day one
- Job and internship opportunities during and post Fellowship
- Opportunity to be a part of a global network of change agents from across 42 countries
- Access to a Mentoring Programme, offering a unique opportunity to achieve professional and personal development
- Access to professional development and network of supporters
- Ongoing leadership development, coaching, business training and skills workshops
- Opportunity to design and implement a social change project
- A stipend for two years including during the school holidays.
5. WILL I BE TRAINED BEORE I START THE FELLOWSHIP?
Teach For Nigeria will work relentlessly to ensure that all Fellows have the knowledge and skills necessary to lead their students towards achievement. The Teach For Nigeria Fellowship begins with a six-week residential training program. Here, Fellows are exposed to curriculum, lesson planning, and classroom facilitation and student assessments among other modules, sessions and keys to successful teaching.
6. WHAT SUBJECTS WILL I TEACH?
Teach for Nigeria Fellows placed in primary schools will be required to teach subjects from the Nigerian school curriculum.
7. WHERE WILL I BE TEACHING?
Teach for Nigeria Fellows are currently teaching in schools in Lagos, Ogun and Kaduna State. However, your exact placement states will be communicated during your interview process.
8. CAN I CHOOSE MY PLACEMENT SCHOOL?
No, Teach for Nigeria places Fellows in schools that are under-served and under-resourced in low-income communities.
9. WILL I BE PAID FOR THE FELLOWSHIP?
The Teach for Nigeria Fellowship is a paid Fellowship.
10. IS THE FELLOWSHIP A FULL-TIME POSITION?
Yes, the Teach for Nigeria Fellowship is a full-time position and will follow the Nigerian School Calendar. The school session in Nigeria runs from September to July.
11. WILL I BE SUPPORTED DURING THE FELLOWSHIP?
Teach for Nigeria Fellows receive support throughout the duration of their Fellowship. Teach for Nigeria tutors and coaches will be available to guide Fellows to become effective teachers and leaders. There will be on-going teacher training, mentoring and professional development for personal development.
12. WHAT QUALIFICATIONS DO I RECEIVE AFTER THE FELLOWSHIP?
Teach for Nigeria will provide the Fellows with a certificate of participation. In addition, Teach for Nigeria is working with universities to provide Fellows with teaching qualification.
13. HOW WILL THE TEACH FOR NIGERIA FELLOWSHIP HELP ME GROW PROFESSIONALLY?
Teach For Nigeria strongly believes that teachers employ the same skills as leaders in any field. Two years in the classroom will help Fellows develop leadership and entrepreneurial skills such as organisation, communication, problem-solving in an unstructured environment. These skills are valuable in any sector.
14. WHAT HAPPENS AFTER THE FELLOWSHIP?
Teach for Nigeria Fellows become Teach for Nigeria alumni and join our network of formidable leaders across over 40 countries around the world. Our Alumni are supported in their personal and professional interests towards further education or careers as they become influencers, visionaries, advocates, entrepreneurs and active participants in the education ecosystem.
APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS AND SELECTION PROCESS
1. WHO ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
Teach for Nigeria is looking for promising future leaders who are vision driven and committed to transforming Nigeria through education. We are looking for individuals with varied levels of experience including recent graduates, working youth, experienced professionals and entrepreneurs.
2. I AM NOT NIGERIAN, CAN I STILL APPLY?
Teach for Nigeria fellows are citizens of Nigeria or of Nigerian origin. Teach for Nigeria is open to Nigerians who after the program can be a contributing change to education in Nigeria.
3. HOW DO I KNOW IF I AM ELIGIBLE?
To be eligible, you must be a Nigerian citizen, hold a minimum of a Bachelor’s degree and be younger than 35.
4. HOW CAN I APPLY FOR THE FELLOWSHIP?
Applications will open on our website in April 2019. To begin, you must complete the application form on our website. The Teach For Nigeria team will review your application and if successful, you will be invited for for a short test and an assessment day in Lagos. An offer will be made to you if you are successful at the assessment centre.
5. IF I HAVE APPLIED IN THE PAST BUT DIDN’T RECEIVE A FELLOWSHIP, CAN I APPLY AGAIN?
Absolutely! We encourage you to apply again.
1. THE APPLICATION FORM WON’T SHOW UP WHEN I CLICK THE BANNER OR THE BUTTON, WHAT DO I DO?
Try using a different browser. We prefer Chrome but you should be able to access the application on FireFox, Safari, and Internet Explorer as well.
2. I TRIED ALL FOUR OF THOSE BROWSERS AND IT STILL ISN’T WORKING, NOW WHAT?
It could be an issue with our website. Please refresh the page, and try again. If it is still not working you can email firstname.lastname@example.org for help.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- Due to the volume of applications, incomplete and late applications will not be considered. We are also unable to provide individual feedback based on the volume.
- Your application content is strictly confidential. If you will like us to share with our partners, please indicate on the application.
- Upon acceptance into the Fellowship, individuals will sign a contract outlining the conditions which include: intent to fully commit to a two-year Fellowship.