1. WHAT IS THE TEACH FOR NIGERIA FELLOWSHIP?
The Teach For Nigeria Fellowship program is a 2 year full-time paid commitment in which we place the most outstanding graduates and professionals to teach in Nigeria’s under-served schools in low-income communities. The Teach For Nigeria Fellowship is a transformational leadership program that equips Fellows with transferable leadership skills to effect change beyond the classrooms in the communities we serve.
2. WHY DOES THE FELLOWSHIP LAST TWO YEARS?
The two-year commitment is necessary to make the impact we wish to have on student achievement. In the first year, Fellows refine their teaching skills and establish respect and trust among various stakeholders within the school community and the students. This allows Fellows to achieve significant academic gains for students. In the second year, Fellows engage in their community projects to further their impact. During the two years, you will strive to transform the student, transform as a leader and transform your school and community.
3. IS IT POSSIBLE TO DO THE FELLOWSHIP FOR ONLY 1 YEAR?
No, that is not possible. The 2-year commitment is essential for one’s leadership development journey and developing a deeper understanding of the challenges faced by students in their schools and communities. Full commitment is crucial in order to develop the conviction and insight necessary to become lifelong leaders in the pursuit of educational opportunities for all.
4. WHY SHOULD I JOIN TEACH FOR NIGERIA?
According to UNICEF, over 58.3% of pupils in a school are not learning while nearly 50% of Grade 6 pupils cannot read at all.
At the secondary school level, the historical academic performance of students, as measured by results from the West African Senior School Certificate Exams (WASSCE) shows that between 2008 and 2015, pass rates have not exceeded 40 per cent. These figures are alarming. We are giving our children little or no hope for a future with opportunities.
Teach For Nigeria offers you the chance to make a difference in tackling one of Nigeria’s most pressing challenges, educational inequity. The Fellowship will help you develop leadership skills that are critical in today’s dynamic global work environment. The Fellowship Program gives you an opportunity to become a part of the solution and a change agent who would transform education in Nigeria.
5. I AM A TEACHER IN A PUBLIC SCHOOL IN NIGERIA, AM I ELIGIBLE TO APPLY?
Yes, if you already possess an Education Qualification to teach in public schools, you are eligible to apply for the Fellowship.
6. DO I NEED ANY TEACHING EXPERIENCE TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THE FELLOWSHIP?
No. Many of our Fellows come from academic backgrounds outside of Education without any prior teaching experience. During our training programmes, we empower you with the necessary knowledge and skills to do well in the classroom.
7. WILL I BE PAID FOR THE FELLOWSHIP?
The Teach For Nigeria Fellowship is a paid Fellowship.
8. ARE THERE ANY BENEFITS TO BEING A TEACH FOR NIGERIA FELLOW?
Yes. As a Teach For Nigeria Fellow, you are a part of a movement of young leaders working to eliminate educational inequity. In addition, these are some benefits of being a Fellow:
- Opportunity to be part of a movement that is changing lives and that will change society
- Extensive leadership development training
- Intensive teacher training
- Real responsibility from day one
- Opportunity to be a part of a global network of change agents from across 60 countries
- Access to a Mentoring Programme, offering a unique opportunity to achieve professional and personal development
- Access to professional development, coaching, business trainings, skill workshops and network of supporters
- Opportunity to participate in a sponsored professional diploma in education program.
- Opportunity to design and implement a social change project
- A stipend for two years including during the school holidays.
9. HOW WILL THE TEACH FOR NIGERIA FELLOWSHIP HELP ME GROW PROFESSIONALLY?
Teach For Nigeria strongly believes that teachers use the same skills as leaders in any field. Two years in the classroom will help Fellows develop leadership and entrepreneurial skills such as organisation, communication, problem-solving in an unstructured environment. These skills are valuable in any sector.
10. WILL I BE SUPPORTED DURING THE FELLOWSHIP?
Teach For Nigeria Fellows receive support throughout the duration of their Fellowship. Teach for Nigeria tutors and coaches will be available to guide Fellows to become effective teachers and leaders. There will be ongoing teacher training, mentoring and professional development for personal development.
11. WILL I BE TRAINED BEFORE I START THE FELLOWSHIP?
Teach For Nigeria will work relentlessly to ensure that all Fellows have the knowledge and skills necessary to lead their students towards achievement. The Teach For Nigeria Fellowship begins with a six-week residential training program. Here, Fellows are exposed to curriculum, lesson planning, and classroom facilitation and student assessments among other modules, sessions and keys to successful teaching.
12. IS THE FELLOWSHIP A FULL-TIME POSITION?
Yes, the Teach For Nigeria Fellowship is a full-time position and will follow the Nigerian School Calendar. The school session in Nigeria runs from September to July.
13. DO I HAVE TO ATTEND THE SUMMER INSTITUTE?
Yes. The summer institute is an integral part of Teach For Nigeria and it is a six week residential training program. Here, Fellows are exposed to curriculum, lesson planning, and classroom facilitation and student assessments among other modules, sessions and keys to successful teaching.
14. DOES TEACH FOR NIGERIA PROVIDE ACCOMMODATION?
Teach For Nigeria does not provide accommodation for Fellows. However, accommodation is provided during the summer training institute which all prospective Fellows must attend.
ABOUT PLACEMENT CITY/SCHOOLS
15. CAN I CHOOSE MY PLACEMENT SCHOOL?
No, Teach For Nigeria places Fellows in schools that are under-served and under-resourced in low-income communities.
16. WHAT SUBJECTS WILL I TEACH?
Teach For Nigeria Fellows are placed in primary and secondary schools and will be required to teach subjects from the Nigerian school curriculum. For primary schools, you will be teaching three (3) basic subjects: English Language, Mathematics and Basic Science. For secondary schools, you will be required to teach subjects inline with your course of study.
17. WHERE WILL I BE TEACHING?
Teach For Nigeria Fellows are currently teaching in schools in Lagos and Ogun States. However, your exact placement state will be communicated during your interview process.
18. WHAT CLASS WILL I TEACH?
For Fellows posted to Ogun state, you will be required to teach in either Primary or Secondary Schools.
19. CAN I CHOOSE MY SUBJECT?
No, you cannot choose your subject. Teach For Nigeria has specified subjects you must teach.
20. WHAT DO YOU MEAN BY UNDERSERVED SCHOOLS?
Our Fellows teach in low income schools. Underserved or under-resourced schools are schools that are facing academic challenges and/or are located in a community facing socio-economic challenges.
21. IF I AM PLACED IN A RURAL AREA, WILL IT BE SAFE?
The safety of our Fellows is an important priority within Teach For Nigeria. We have a team of staff members located in each of our placement communities, working hard to support our Fellows with any matters. Our teams also help to smoothen the transition into different communities at the start of the Fellowship, by organising meetings with important stakeholders in the communities. We do our best to make you feel safe and at home at soon as possible!
22. IN WHICH STATES ARE TEACH FOR NIGERIA SCHOOLS LOCATED?
Teach For Nigeria partner schools are located in two states (Lagos and Ogun States).
23. WILL I AUTOMATICALLY HAVE A TEACHING JOB AFTER THE FELLOWSHIP?
Joining Teach For Nigeria does not mean you will automatically have a teaching job.
24. WHAT HAPPENS AFTER THE FELLOWSHIP?
Teach For Nigeria Fellows become Teach For Nigeria alumni and join our network of formidable leaders across over 50 countries around the world. Our Alumni are supported in their personal and professional interests towards further education or careers as they become influencers, visionaries, advocates, entrepreneurs and active participants in the education ecosystem.
24. WHAT HAPPENS AFTER THE FELLOWSHIP?
Teach For Nigeria Fellows become Teach For Nigeria alumni and join our network of formidable leaders across over 61 countries around the world. Our Alumni are supported in their personal and professional interests towards further education or careers as they become influencers, innovators, visionaries, advocates, entrepreneurs and active participants in the education ecosystem. There are many options open to you after the Fellowship, including but not limited to:
- Continuing to make an impact in the public education system at multiple levels, in schools, districts, states and the federal level.
- Driving innovations through social innovations or enterprise working on issues in education.
- Contributing to the field of education as an advocate or academic in policy and research work, in or related to education.
- Joining private organisations and multinationals whose core business is to provide resources like finances, skills, and influence in order to further Teach For Nigeria’s vision and mission.
25. CAN I CONTINUE TEACHING IN THE SAME SCHOOL AFTER THE FELLOWSHIP?
If you would like to continue teaching after the Fellowship, it is important to note that this means you would be applying to become a full-time civil servant with the Ministry of Education. Depending on your performance during the Fellowship, we can support you in this process and will do our best to help. However, the ultimate decision and placement would be made by the Ministry.
25. WHAT QUALIFICATIONS DO I RECEIVE AFTER THE FELLOWSHIP?
Teach For Nigeria will provide the Fellows with a certificate of participation. In addition, Teach For Nigeria is working with universities to provide Fellows with teaching qualifications.
APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS AND SELECTION PROCESS
1. HOW CAN I APPLY FOR THE FELLOWSHIP?
Visit the BECOME A FELLOW page on our website where you can register your personal details. You will then receive an email containing a link to begin your application.
2. WHO ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
Teach For Nigeria is looking for promising future leaders who are vision-driven and committed to transforming Nigeria through education. We are looking for individuals with varied levels of experience including recent graduates, working youth, experienced professionals and entrepreneurs.
3. I AM NOT NIGERIAN, CAN I STILL APPLY?
Teach For Nigeria fellows are citizens of Nigeria or of Nigerian origin. Teach For Nigeria is open to Nigerians who after the program can be a contributing change to education in Nigeria.
4. HOW DO I KNOW IF I AM ELIGIBLE?
To be eligible, you must be a Nigerian citizen, hold a minimum of a Bachelor’s degree and be younger than 35.
5. HOW CAN I APPLY FOR THE FELLOWSHIP?
Applications will open on our website on February 10, 2022. To begin, you must complete the application form on our website. The Teach For Nigeria team will review your application and if successful, we will invite you for a short test and an assessment day in Lagos. An offer will be made to you if you are successful at the assessment centre.
6. IF I HAVE APPLIED IN THE PAST BUT DIDN’T GET INTO THE FELLOWSHIP, CAN I APPLY AGAIN?
Absolutely! We encourage you to apply again.
1. THE APPLICATION FORM WON’T SHOW UP WHEN I CLICK THE BECOME A FELLOW BUTTON, WHAT DO I DO?
Try using a different browser. We prefer Chrome and UC Browser but you should be able to access the application on FireFox, Safari, and Internet Explorer.
2. I TRIED ALL FOUR OF THOSE BROWSERS AND IT DID NOT WORK, NOW WHAT?
It could be an issue with our website. Please refresh the page and try again. If it is still not working, you can email firstname.lastname@example.org for help.
3. I STARTED MY APPLICATION BUT DID NOT RECEIVE AN EMAIL WITH A LINK TO THE FORM. WHAT DO I DO?
Kindly check your spam folder for an email with your unique link to the form. If the issue remains unresolved, please drop us an email at email@example.com with a screenshot of the problem. Our team will be in contact with you to support!
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- Due to the volume of applications, we will not consider incomplete and late applications. We may also not be able to provide individual feedback based on the volume.
- Your application content is strictly confidential. If you would like us to share with our partners, please indicate on the application.
- Upon acceptance into the Fellowship, individuals will sign a contract outlining the conditions which include: intent to fully commit to a two-year Fellowship.